Thursday, May 28, 2009

Quote

"[Pinter]... continues to inspire me by his fearless examination of men and women while searching for answers, hoping for change, raging for equality-- but never ducking for cover.  Who can ask for more?  What I really admire about Pinter's work-- and strive for in my own-- is that the point of it is not merely to upset people, but that what's being addressed is worth getting upset over." -Neil Labute
As always I'm delving deeper and deeper into one of my favorite playwrights, Neil Labute.  He stings, boy I'll tell ya, but I really just love him.  People have favorite authors, works they like to read, and Neil Labute is sure one of my favorite playwrights.  So far I've read:
-Fat Pig
-Shape of Things
-Some Girls 
-Reasons to be Pretty
-Wrecks
-The Distance from Here
-Autobahn
... and most of Bash... and am currently reading 'This is How It Goes'.  Though some would argue that he is too brutal and that is plays are too truthful at showing life as it is, I would argue that Labute show's us the natural man yes, but that the flaws can be re-arranged... if only we wanted to improve.


2 comments:

Shexpeare said...

Sure do love labute. Neil and the Labutes! UNITE! :D

Unknown said...

I find the more i read of Neil, the less FEAR i have of humanity. he paints the very best and worst of the picture of us, so i feel more comfortable around people. does that make sense?